Before I dive into this post I just want to mention one thing, for as good as chocolate tastes, it doesn’t photograph well. I know you are thinking, how could chocolate not look delicious?! Well just give it a try & if you master the art of chocolate photography please share your wisdom with me.
So bear with me. My pictures in this post might not be the most aesthetic, but I promise you this bread is delicious.
This bread is savory enough for dessert & healthy enough for breakfast!
How?! It is:
- Naturally sweetened
- Fiber & protein rich
Chocolate Caramel Bread ~ A savory & healthy bread topped with a date paste
- 2 T ground flax
- 6 T water
- 1 c oat flour (blended oats)
- 1/3 c chickpea/ garbanzo bean flour
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of himalayan salt
- 1/3 c pumpkin puree
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/3 plain greek or non-dairy yogurt
- 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 c unsweetened plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tsp coconut extract
Caramel – date Paste:
- 6 dates
- Splash of plant-based milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Almond Butter (or any nut/seed butter of choice)
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add flax egg ingredients to a small bowl. Whisk & set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Whisk.
- Add all wet ingredients to a medium size bowl. Whisk until combined well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, along with the flax egg. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- De-pit & chop dates.
- Add to a bowl of boiling water & let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain & add to a food processor or blender along with the milk & cinnamon.
- Process until reaching desired consistency (I like leaving it smooth but still with a few date chunks)
- Allow bread to cool.
- Spread the top with your caramel- date paste.
- Slice & enjoy. I recommend spreading your slice with a bit of almond butter as well for the ultimate treat!
Have you ever de-pitted a date & stuffed it with almond butter?! It’s like a healthy candy bar. Soooooo good! What would you change or add to this bread?