Don’t forget to follow my Instagram, @thekellydiet, for more recipes not posted on the blog! Like this ‘Vegan, Veggie Mac & Cheese’!
Now onto these muffins!
I loveee figs! So every fig season I get very excited. – Note, fig season is late June through early fall.
With so many health benefits & such a delicious taste, you can see why I get excited for these little fruits!
One last thing before getting to the recipe. I am vegan except for that I use honey. I shared this a while back. But as I have been getting questions again as to why I use honey. See below 🙂
Honey v. Agave
agave nectar isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be: It has a low-glycemic index because it’s largely made of fructose, the single most damaging form of sugar. It has the highest fructose content of any commercial sweetener on the market.
Raw honey has less fructose than most agave & is the only natural sweetener with other health benefits, which include anti-microbial, heart-healthy & anti-inflammatory effects.
Raw honey is a natural, unprocessed food
I buy local, organic honey. Local beekeepers will not use dangerous factory-farming methods, & it helps maintain your local bee population 🙂
Sweet Fig Muffins
- 1 1/2 c quick oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1 T chia seeds
- 1 T antioxidant powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 c organic raw honey*
*Agave nectar has a low-glycemic index b/c it’s largely made of fructose, the single most damaging form of sugar. Opt instead to buy local, organic honey. Local beekeepers will not use dangerous factory-farming methods, & it helps maintain your local bee population 🙂
- Fresh Figs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray 6 muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl add & whisk all dry ingredients.
- Add in your wet ingredients & mix until combined.
- Use an ice-cream scooper to divide batter among the 6 muffin tins. (could also form batter into cookie shapes).
- Cut your figs in half & lightly press fig slices into the top of your muffins.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Enjoy!
I hope everyone had a great weekend!