Well hi guys!
Happy Sunday. Who is doing some food prep today?!
I feel like Sundays are my wellness days. You don’t have to rush a work out. You can make a healthy breakfast at home, spend time with pets & friends, maybe go for a hike & even do some food prep for the week!
I’ve been out of curry for about a month & finally remembered to buy it at the store today. Is anyone else horrible at using their shopping list at the grocery store?!
I also had half of a butternut squash leftover so wanted to make a crockpot with both these ingredients for some food prep.
And that’s how we landed with this ‘Curried Butternut Squash Power Bowl.’ Enjoy!
Curried Butternut Squash Power Bowl
- 1 c lentils (I used green)
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 1/2 a large butternut squash, cubed (or about 2 c cubed)
- 2 large handfuls kale/spinach
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1, 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 c veggie broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp gram masala
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- dash pink himalayan salt
- Add all ingredients to a slow-cooker.
- Stir. Cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 8. Serve hot or cover & refrigerate for a food prep!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic & hashtag it #thekellydiet @thekellydiet- I love seeing your creations on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook!
And this is what my dog is doing currently as I am blogging, lol 🙂
2 new foods for me this year are: Jicama & Jackfruit.
Jicama is a root vegetable that is a great source of fiber & vitamin C. You can eat it raw, sauté it, or bake it into fries.
Jackfruit is a fruit than can grow up to 100 lbs! It is a rich source of vitamin, minerals, phytonutrients, carbohydrate, electrolytes, fiber, fat and protein. You can eat it raw or cook it.
I have fallen in love with both!
For this Tropical Buddha bowl I made jackfruit fries & cooked up some of Upton’s Naturals Sweet & Smoky Jackfruit.
This bowl is well sweet & smoky 🙂 , tangy & refreshing!
Tropical Buddha Bowl
- 1 jicama
- 1 T melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp seasoning of choice (I used FlavorGod’s fiesta sweet & tangy seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 box Upton’s Naturals Sweet & Smoky Jackfruit
- 1/2 head caulifower
- 2 handfuls kale/ spinach
- Pomegranate seeds
- 1 1/2 c chopped mango, pineapple & strawberry combo (I used a pre-chopped organic frozen bag.)
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- The juice from 1 lime
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Peel jicama & cut into fries.
- Place them onto a baking sheet. Pour the melted coconut oil over the fries, sprinkle on your seasoning & mix. Make sure all fries are laying next to each other on the sheet & not on top of one another.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, flip, & bake another 20-25 minutes or until crispy.
- Chop half of your cauliflower head into florets.
- Place on a baking sheet, add any seasonings or healthy oils you like & roast for about 30 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Heat your package of jicama on a pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cook until hot throughout.
- Add all of your tropical dressing ingredients to a high speed blender.
- Blend until combined.
- Distribute your greens, fries, jackfruit & cauliflower among 2 plates.
- Drizzle on your dressing.
- Top with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!
Check out my Instagram @thekellydiet for even more unique plant-based recipes!
Happy Friday everyone!!! Don’t forget to check out your local Farmers Markets this weekend. I’d love to hear what fruits & veggies you get!
Before I share my simple smoothie recipe I wanted to update you on some of my Instagram posts from this week. @thekellydiet
“Lunch Bowl” Farmers Market goodies, a veggie patty & my cheesy pea pesto 👩🌾👍
“One bowl, Cake Crumble ” In a medium sized bowl mix with a fork 3/4 c rolled oats, 2 T coconut flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 c unsweetened 🍎 sauce, 1/4 c unsweetened almond milk & 1/2 tsp maple extract. Fold in 1/4 c loosely packed shredded 🥕 s. Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
And here is a smoothie to start off your weekend on the right track 🙂
Simple Creamy Green Smoothie
- Handful of spinach/kale
- 1/2 a frozen banana, chopped
- 1/2 c frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 c frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/2 tsp matcha
- 2 c unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice
- Sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth & creamy.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg or add any other desired toppings. Enjoy!
What do you want to bake or cook this weekend?!